The Kentucky Youth Storytelling competition is a statewide effort to develop, encourage, and highlight the talent of our young storytellers.
Who Can Enter
Any Kentuckian age 7 17 as of the June 1st entry deadline.
How to Compete
· Entries are accepted April 1st through June 1st. (Note: the deadline does not change from year to year.)
· Video entries of a solo storyteller or a tandem team telling a single story are submitted via mailed DVD postmarked on or before June 1st or via electronic link submitted on or before June 1st.
· An Entry & Permission form must be submitted by postal mail, postmarked on or before June 1st.
· For details on story length, video creation, and entry submission, see Rules.
· To learn how entries are judged, see KYS Judging Rubric.
· Winners will be notified by July 15th.
· A plaque.
· Up to $100.00 in reimbursements for travel expenses to the events where you act as a Torchbearer (amount prorated where Tandem team members share the prize)
· Saturday admissions pass to the Cave Run Storytelling Festival, Morehead, KY.
· Admissions pass to the Corn Island Storytelling Festival, Louisville, KY.
· Performance ticket for the Cumberland Falls Storytelling Festival, Corbin, KY.
· Admission to most Paris Storytelling Festival events, Paris, KY.
· Invitation to perform and free family registration at the Kentucky Storytelling Conference a fall event offering storytelling workshops from experienced storytellers and teller performances held in a different area of Kentucky each year.
· Kentucky Storytelling Association membership for one year.
· Invitation to perform at Storytelling in the Mountains a yearly spring event in Harlan, Kentucky.
· Invitations to perform at other events, as opportunities arise. (For example, most years the KYS program is able to arrange a performance for the Kentucky Youth Storytelling winners at The Kentucky State Fair in August.)
· In addition, press releases are sent to media outlets and venues throughout the state touting the accomplishments and availability of the youth tellers.
Spread the word
Please help the KYS Committee spread the word about this competition to Kentuckians from 7 17 years old. Youll find a print-friendly flyer about the KYS program here.
|Copyright 2006-2019 by Kentucky Storytelling Association. All Rights Reserved. Revised February 17, 2019||Web site maintained by Kate Dudding|